Insurance on 5th Wheel Camper

Insurance on 5th Wheel Camper

by Debbie
(Shelby, NC, USA)

If I am going to live in my 5th wheel camper for an extended period of time do I need to carry insurance on the camper itself?

Comments for Insurance on 5th Wheel Camper

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 17, 2012
by: Camper4Lifex2

I can only answer for the state which I live in, which happens to be North Carolina.

NC Ins companies are not allowed to insure a camper/RV for 'full-time occupancy" I currently can only acquire liability ins. which basically for me amounts to NO COVERAGE, since I currently am parked permanently in a campground.

This simply means that should a storm destroy/damage my motorhome, I am screwed.
No protection for my personal belongings (everything I own) in case of total destruction of any type.

I know I am out on a 'wing and a prayer' but until I can get mobil .. here I sit "UNprotected"

Best of wishes
and Happy Camping to you.

P.S. Only saving grace for us is ...the MH isn't worth more than $3500 anyway... it would be personal property that would be the worse loss... if there was one.

Jul 16, 2012
Insurance on Camper
by: Cowgirl Kathi

Hello! In answer to your question, I would imagine that you would want to insure your camper whether you live in it for extended periods or just use it occasionally. But from what I can gather, your insurance company might give you a hard time if you DON'T have a permanent home address.

I am probably going to go this route (full-timing) as soon as I can sell this farm and have done some preliminary research on the subject of insurance, but am feeling fairly certain that the laws about insuring an RV/Camper may vary from state to state. Check with your insurance agent and be sure!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to RV Q and A.